CRISTINA GOMEZ SUAREZ, Ph.D.
HEAD OF MASTER IN BIOMANAGEMENT
Cristina Gomez Suarez, Ph.D. was born in Spain. She completed her Licentiate Degree in Biochemistry in the University of Oviedo. During her studies, she took her undergraduate thesis project at Leiden University Medical Center (LUMC), Holland under the Erasmus program. There, she developed her interest in microbiology and immunology. Upon completion of her studies, she returned to Spain to pursue her PhD. in the Microbiology department at the University of Oviedo, Spain. Her work in the “Biosynthesis of bioactive compounds by microorganism” research group was focused on isolation and characterization of a new cytotoxic molecule produced by a soil bacteria. While pursuing her doctoral program, she took the Pedagogical Adaption Course, mandatory certificate for teaching in Spanish institutions.
In December 2012, Cristina was awarded with the “Premio extraordinario de doctorado” (Extraordinary PhD Award) as the best PhD thesis dissertation in 2011 given by University of Oviedo.
Cristina also participated as a volunteer in many programs and associations, both in Spain and overseas. The projects she has focused on have always been oriented to promote education and equality.
In 2012, she moved to Indonesia where she started developing her career in different businesses, first as R&D Manager in a food and beverage company, and later as business developer in a consultancy promoting collaborations between Indonesian and Spanish higher education institutions. And on top of it, she loves diving.
- Carlos Olano, Cristina Gómez, Maria Perez, Martina Palomino, Antonio Pineda-Lucena, Rodrigo J. Carbajo, Alfredo F. Brana, Carmen Méndez, José A. Salas. 2009. Deciphering Biosynthesis of the RNA Polymerase Inhibitor Streptolydigin and Generation of Glycosylated Derivatives. 16: 1031-1044
- Cristina Gómez, Dina H. Horna, Carlos Olano, Martina Palomino-Schatzlein, Antonio Pineda-Lucena, Rodrigo J. Carbajo, Alfredo F. Brana, Carmen Méndez, José A. Salas. 2011. Amino Acid Precursor Supply in the Biosynthesis of the RNA Polymerase Inhibitor Streptolydigin by Streptomyces lydicus. Journal of Bacteriology. 193(16): 4214–4223
- Cristina Gómez, Carlos Olano, Carmen Méndez, José A. Salas. 2012. Three pathway-specific regulators control streptolydigin biosynthesis in Streptomyces lydicus. Microbiology. 158: 2504-2514
- Cristina Gómez, Dina H. Horna, Carlos Olano, Carmen Méndez, José A. Salas. 2012. Participation of putative glycoside hydrolases SlgC1 and SlgC2 in the biosynthesis of streptolydigin in Streptomyces lydicus. Microbial Biotechnology. 5(5): 663-667
- Cristina Gómez, Carlos Olano, Martina Palomino-Schatzlein, Antonio Pineda-Lucena, Rodrigo J Carbajo, Alfredo F Brana, Carmen Méndez, José A Salas. 2012. Novel compounds produced by Streptomyces lydicus NRRL 2433 engineered mutants altered in the biosynthesis of streptolydigin. The Journal of Antibiotics. 65: 341–348
- Salcedo RG, Olano C, Gómez C, Fernández R, Braña AF, Méndez C, de la Calle F, Salas JA. Microb Cell Fact. 2016 Feb 22;15:44. Characterization and engineering of the biosynthesis gene cluster for antitumor macrolides PM100117 and PM100118 from a marine actinobacteria: generation of a novel improved derivative.