RAHMAT AZHARI KEMAL, M.Si.
FACULTY OF BIOTECHNOLOGY
He graduated from Universitas Al Azhar Indonesia (UAI) majoring in Biology with Biotechnology concentration in 2014. He developed interest in molecular biology thus conducted molecular analysis of dahlia as his bachelor thesis. He later joined Indonesia Hepatitis B Vaccine Research Consortium project as researcher. He pursued his master degree in Biotechnology in Institut Teknologi Bandung (ITB) with full scholarship from Indonesia Endowment Fund for Education (LPDP). His master thesis was to genetically engineer yeast Pichia pastoris for Hepatitis B vaccine development.
During his bachelor study, he joined internship and research projects. He was an intern in Biopharmaca Research Centre, Institut Pertanian Bogor (IPB), and conducted analysis on phytochemical content and antibacterial activity of seaweed extracts. He also joined project on antibacterial activity of Virgin Coconut Oil and effect of Cilembu sweetpotato on baker’s yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae growth. During his master study, he joined ITB team for an international synthetic biology competition, the International Genetically Engineered Machine (iGEM) competition in 2015, which the team won silver medal.
He is particularly interested in molecular biology and synthetic biology especially for medical application. He believes that the development of biotechnology, especially synthetic biology in Indonesia will have enormous economical and societal impact.
RESEARCHES AND PROJECTS
- Indonesia Hepatitis B Vaccine Research Consortium, supervised by Vanny Narita, PhD; “Construction of third-generation Hepatitis B vaccine on yeast Pichia pastoris”.
- Institut Teknologi Bandung, Department of Biotechnology, Genetic and Molecular Biotechnology Research Group, supervised by Ernawati A. Giri-Rachman, PhD; “Construction and Overexpression of Multicassettes Gene Encoding Middle Hepatitis B Surface Antigen (M-HBsAg) in Pichia pastoris”. [Thesis project]
- Universitas Al Azhar Indonesia, Department of Biology (Biotechnology), supervised by Vanny Narita PhD and Wahyu Purbowasito PhD; “Isolation of Gene Encoding Sucrose:Sucrose 1-Fructosyltransferase from Dahlia (Dahliasp.) ” [Bachelor project]
- Kemal RA, Muthmainah SI, Narita V, Giri-Rachman EA, Natalia D, Retnoningrum DS, Nurainy N. Construction and expression of multi cassettes encoding Indonesian middle hepatitis B surface antigen (M-HBsAg) in Pichia pastoris. in International Conference on Mathematics and Natural Sciences. Bandung, 2-3 November 2016. Oral presentation.
- Kemal RA, Stephanie N, Cahyani RK. Usulan strategi konservasi keanekaragaman genetik Mamalia yang terancam punah: Analisis pada harimau Sumatera (Panthera tigris sumatrae). in Seminar Nasional Masyarakat Biodiversitas Indonesia. Bogor, 17 September 2016. Oral presentation.
- Kemal RA, Islamiah PWN, Sa’adah M, Lusiany T. 2016. Synthetic biology for bio-control: A Mini-Review. Proceeding of 6th International Conference on Global Resource Conservation, 1(1): 92-94
- Kemal RA, Rini IA, Oktaviani I. 2015. Utilising synthetic biology to produce renewable energy from Indonesia’s biodiversity: Inspiration from iGEM competition. Proceeding of 6th International Conference on Global Resource Conservation, 1(1): 95-97.
- Kemal RA, Novianti A, Ma’ruf IF, Rini IA, Fatmawati R. 2015. Prospect of bioremediation using synthetic biology approach in Indonesia. Proceeding of 6th International Conference on Global Resource Conservation, 1(1): 98-101.
- Kemal RA, Yulita A, Nufadianti G, Rosadi I, Muthmainah SI. 2015. Tumbuhan di kota urban Indonesia: Nilai bioteknologis dan proyeksi keragaman pada 2050. Prosiding Seminar Nasional Masyarakat Biodiversitas Indonesia 1(8): 1836-1841.
- Kemal RA, Narita V, Purbowasito W. 2014. Preliminary study of isolation of sucrose:sucrose 1-fructosyltransferase gene from dahlia (Dahlia sp.) using degenerate primer. in Symposium Nanotechnology and Biotechnology. Bandung, 14 November 2014. Oral presentation.
- Noriko N, Masduki M, Azhari R, Nufadianti G. 2014. Uji in vitro daya antibacterial Virgin Coconut Oil pada Salmonella typhi. Jurnal Al-Azhar Indonesia Seri Sains dan Teknologi 2(3): 188-192.
- Azhari R, Nufadianti G, Wulansari MT, Crisnia, Merdekawati D, Samiah R, Wijaya DA, Sugoro I. 2012. Effect of co-substrate addition in production of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. in International Seminar on Science and Technology Innovations 2012. Jakarta, 2-3 October 2012. Oral presentation.
- Azhari R, Febriany S. 2012. Phytochemical and antibacterial activity of seaweed extracts. in Simposium Nasional Kimia Bahan Alam 2012. Ciputat, 9-10 October 2012. Oral presentation.